Saturday, December 31, 2011
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
I ordered this ottoman off of Walmart.com for just $79. It's nice and big at 4' by 2'. It had 108 reviews all at 5 stars, so I knew I couldn't go wrong! The top is nice and firm so you could set a plate or drink on it without it falling over. But just cushy enough to put your feet up on : )
We figure it will be nice whenever Baby Free starts toddling around, so there isn't a hard edge to hurt themselves on.
Plus I like the way it looks!
So, are you a cushy ottoman or a sturdy coffee table person?
Monday, December 19, 2011
The end table, also from Target was $69. I liked the clean lines. I also picked up at Target the glossy white lamp and the white tray. I really like the neutrals and slate with pops of white. Also, picked up the vintage looking wire basket at HomeGoods for just $7.99 to hold our current magazines. But the tray was pretty necessary, so I could easily remove the items on top of the table..
Flip the top over and make it into an ottoman! How cool is that?! Thought for big game nights, it'd be great for extra seating!
I also dressed up the bookcase corner a bit. I found the white boxes on sale at Michaels for $1.99. They will soon hold baby items, like a few extra diapers and wipes for quick changes downstairs. I also nabbed the cute basket in the middle at HomeGoods for $12.99 to hold some of our favorite books. The bookcase is also holding some games for game nights and a nice big basket we already had to hold the soon-to-be overwhelming amount of toys.
I also threw a throw blanket we already had and a pillow to help dress up the hand-me-down recliner.
We definitely needed a back door mat for wiping feet/paws. I loved this mat at Target ($25) since it had the browns and grays in it.
I had seen lots of 'Family Rules' signs on Pinterest and loved the idea. I was browsing Hobby Lobby and stumbled upon this one in the clearance section. It is very sturdy and made of solid wood. Mr. Free said the "Obey Your Parents" should've been the biggest one : )
Also at Target I picked up this Starburst mirror to help break up the long wall. I like the little bit of shimmer it adds.
We also picked up at Costco a pet bed for our pooches. They are NOT allowed on the furniture downstairs so figured they needed a comfy spot to lounge too.
Mr. Free also got the surround sound all rigged up this weekend and it is AWESOME!
Since our lives are going to change in approximately 8 weeks, and we will become much more of homebodies then we ever have been, I am so thankful for this space to be able to watch movies and play with Baby Free and not feel so crammed.
Our home is 900 square feet but the addition of the family room makes our home now 1400 square feet of living space. We keep commenting on how huge our home feels now! : )
Thanks for looking around. We absolutely love the space and plan to just veg down there for the month of January while we wait for Little One!
Friday, December 16, 2011
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
Here was Mr. Free's first reaction...
We wasted no time once we got home and saw the finished product, and started moving in furniture.
Mr. Free's parents delivered our brand new sectional.
I put together the bookcase (which matches the TV stand) and we brought out a hand-me-down recliner to put in the corner.
This is the TV sitting area.
I think it'll look great and will offer a cushy place to put up our feet and if baby is tottering around they won't hurt themselves if they fall against it.
I have lots of decorating to do now, but am TOTALLY up for the "challenge"!
And for those wondering, to finish our approx. 511 square feet of living space came in at $4,007 for all materials. This includes every tool, screw, and piece of wood we had to buy. We saved THOUSANDS in labor and are thrilled with the results!
Monday, December 12, 2011
Mr. Free has worked his booty off for the past 3 months! And he has done a FABULOUS job!
Tomorrow our carpet is being installed and then we can move in furniture and start decorating!
I will do another post with the step-by-step of the transformation, but here is the Mood Board for the final product.
This space is approx. 511 square feet with the primary purpose of a family room.
1. Swiftlock Curly Walnut Laminate flooring- Our basement is a walkout so we wanted a landing that went between that door and the door to the laundry room. The dogs and cat have their food and bed in the laundry room so frequently walk the path of the back door and to the laundry room. When it's muddy we thought this would be much easier to clean than carpeting.
2. Berber carpet from Lowe's- This is one of their in-stock options. We chose this because it will hide lots of dirt and be easier to keep clean with 2 dogs, a cat and a baby.
3. Tufted ottoman- Walmart. This is on order, should be in in a couple weeks. I definitely like the look, the reviews and the price. Think it's a stylish option with a little one on the way.
4. Sectional- Nebraska Furniture Mart. We loved the look of this sectional and it was a bargain for the price. It appears it will hold up well with being used often.
5. Bookcase- Target. Simple, nothing elaborate. Will hold some board games, DVDs and a basket of toys for the tot.
6. Family Rules sign- I saw this on clearance at Hobby Lobby and am really considering getting it. Think it'd be cute and a good reminder for us all...
7. Cream throw- Target. Pretty sure Santa is bringing this for me. It's super soft and will be so nice to snuggle with!
8. Cream furry throw pillow- Pier One. I've hinted at this to Santa as well. It is sooo soft.
9. Espresso baskets- Will use this to contain magazines, dog toys and baby toys.
10. Arc lamp- I bought this YEARS ago at Target and it's still been in the box! Think I will finally bust it out for this space!
11. Chocolate curtains- Target. We have a large window next to the walk out door and loved the quality and print of these curtains.
12. TV and TV stand- TV Walmart, TV stand Target. For Mr. Free's super hard work, he got the TV of his choice. The TV stand matches the bookcase. Not the best quality, but we will have to save up a bit for a solid wood TV stand that will hold Mr. Free's new TV.
We are SO excited for this new space! It will so wonderful to be able to have more people over at our house and a wonderful new room for baby to play in!
Thursday, December 8, 2011
First, we chose a paint color. I can't even tell you the *exact* color, because it wound up being a custom color.
Mr. Free and I were in a huge hurry when we picked it out and ended up telling them the wrong color.
Luckily, Lowe's is awesome and did what they could to fix it.
This paint does photograph different in different lights. It's an aqua color, but in bright light it looks brighter and with soft light it looks more seafoam.
The nursery walls were covered in 2 coats of wallpaper and paint. I spent several evenings steaming and peeling off the wallpaper. Fun times.
Over Thanksgiving I came down with the stomach flu, which put me way behind on the nursery progess. Mr. Free was awesome and busted his hiney to paint the nursery and keep on his schedule with the basement. Love that man.
We had bought the Zig Zag rug a few months prior, and my mom and I redid the glider a month or two ago as well.
Once the paint dried I was antsy to get the crib set up, so Mr. Free pulled a late nighter and set it all up for me. I was so thrilled to see furnitue in the room!
The glider is perfect for the space. I snagged that little blanket on clearance at Target a few months ago and loved the geometric print. Mr. Free's aunt got us the Basset Hound stuffed animal years ago, which will be *perfect* for our little one...as they will instantly have a Basset Hound brother and sister upon arrival. : )