Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas with Flaxseed


As I've been trying more and more to make our own bread, this week I ventured into tortilla making.

It's so easy!

Here's what you need:
2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. shortening (could use lard or butter)
3/4 c. water
Sprinkle of flax seed

One
Measure your dry ingredients into a bowl

Two
Add in your shortening
and mix til crumbly

Three
Add in water and let your mixer do the hard work. Let it knead at a medium speed for a couple of minutes.

Four
Your dough should look like this

Five
Divide dough into eight balls
Let balls rest for 10 minutes covered with a tea towel.
Six
Make sure you have a hot skillet

Seven
Roll out each ball to a very thin circlish figure
Homemade tortillas definitely *look* homemade in my kitchen...

Eight
Place tortilla onto hot skillet, cooking each side until you see bubbles. Then flip.

Nine
Tada! Hot, fresh, healthy-ish tortillas!

Ole'!

Have you ever made homemade tortillas?
Are you going to give it a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one! I read each and everyone one! xoxo Jenny Free