Wednesday, March 6, 2013

You Are Richer Than You Realize...


I am richer than I realized.

Mr. Free and I have been on a quest to be wise stewards of our money.
We have been budgeting down to the cent each month in order to pay off debt and build our savings.

Through out the years, Mr. Free and I have been blessed to always make it financially.
Times have sure been lean.
Often from circumstances, and some with mismanagement of the funds we had been given.
But we've always paid our bills and always had full stomachs.
We often went without our "wants".
Heaven forbid.

I often would whine that we are "poor" to close friends and family.
I didn't get to shop freely each weekend.
We couldn't go out to dinner every week.
Movies?
Only Netflix.

I felt so deprived.
Sad, huh?

Maybe you've seen it before?

You insert your yearly income and it shows you where you rank financially amongst the world population.

Keep in mind:
I teach part time
Mr. Free is a teacher
We have student loans
We have a small home
We don't have cable

Here's how we ranked:
The top 0.95%.

That sure puts some things in perspective?

I often get caught up in the "American-Keepin-Up-With-The-Joneses-Dream".
I want the McMansion.
I want a new Mac laptop.
I want a new car.
I want, I want, I want.

But even though our home is small.
Our cars are used.
We have one small bathroom.
We buy many things used.

We are so, so rich.

Yes, compared to the people in the suburb next to us, we may live "lean".
But globally? We are so blessed.

I am so thankful for our jobs, educations, our home and vehicles.
I am so thankful for how the Lord has provided for us during each season.
I pray for wisdom in managing what He has blessed me with, so that I may in turn be a blessing to others and glorify Him.

I pray that my perspective will remain on my blessings and not dwell on my wants.

I love the book of Proverbs, and lately these verses have been on my mind:

 give me neither poverty nor riches,
    but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
    and say, ‘Who is the Lord?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
    and so dishonor the name of my God.
{Proverbs 30:8b-9}

Thank you Lord for providing just what we've needed.

Did you try the calculator?
How did you rank?



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one! I read each and everyone one! xoxo Jenny Free