Monday, September 28, 2009
HOMEMADE FUNNEL CAKE!!!!!!!!!!
Mr. Free and I attended the local Oktoberfest this weekend, and I REALLY wanted a funnel cake. The budget is a little tight at the Free Household, so we are really trying to live up to our name. Mr. Free told me he'd make me one as soon as we got home. He'd never made one before, so I was a little skeptical.
OH.MY.GOSH. This man knew what he was doing. It was at LEAST as good as any local fair, and I would say MUCH BETTER even. Here is what Mr. Free did:
* Instant Pancake Mix (the just-add-water kind)
* 1 egg
*Any toppings of your choice
To make two medium sized funnel cakes, follow the measurements given.
*Heat a skillet or deep fryer with oil until 375 degrees.
* Mix 3/4 c. milk with 1 c. instant cake mix. Add in 1 egg and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Mix all well.
*Pour into ziploc bag and got off one corner (or you can use a funnel....we didn't have any that didn't have oil in them...)
* Right at surface of oil, drizzle batter in circular motion into oil (be careful of the steam...)
* Cook about 1-2 min. per side, until lightly golden brown. Flip with tongs.
* Remove from oil and let sit on paper towels for a minute or two to absorb the grease.
* Top with powdered sugar or topping of your choice!
SOOOO easy! And SOOO much cheaper than the fair! Thanks to Mr. Free and his fair culinary skills!