Tuesday, May 28, 2013

books to grow as a christian woman, wife & mother


I'm a reader...but a very particular reader.
I only like to read non-fiction.

Particularly non-fiction that benefits myself, my family or my home.

I like to learn.
I like to better myself.

So for Mother's Day, Mr. Free & Levi gave me a big ol' stack of books.
I've started most of them so thought I would pass along some recommendations.
I am also going to recommend some tried and true books I have loved and read over the years.

All of these books are encouraging in my walk with the Lord and are applicable to whatever season of life God may have you in.



We read through this while we were engaged.
A good read understanding how you feel loved, and if you are in a relationship, how your partner feels loved.
A good, eye-opening read on relationships.

I love this book.
It isn't a christian book, however, so note that as you read.
But the basis of this book is fantastic.
I loved the tips that are shared on how we all need to slow down and simplify our lives with our children.
I highly recommend it...just be forewarned on the worldly view that it is evident during some parts of the book.

I fell in love with this book in college.
I was (is) obsessed with Mrs. Proverbs 31 and this book breaks down each verse.
It is daunting, and at times may seem unrealistic, but it is fabulous.
I was unmarried at the time and gleaned so much.
I have re-read it many times during changing seasons and find new application.

I love anything by Elizabeth George.
Many of her books have a similar theme, but are grounded in scripture.
This book is great on prioritizing what is important during busy seasons of life.

I read this book while really struggling with anxiety.
It is a great, encouraging read whenever life is a bit challenging.

 This book is very similar to Beautiful in God's Eyes, but with a different format.
It isn't solely based on Proverbs 31, rather using the entire Bible for helpful insight on what it means to be a godly woman.
 OK, I may be tarred and feathered, but this book isn't my favorite.
People are in LOVE with this book, but I can't say that I am.
I am, however, in love with her insight.
I just found the book to be a bit too detailed and wordy.
I love her premise of looking for the blessings in each day and to be grateful for all life's simple gifts.

This book is divided into 40 tiny chapters.
Perfect to read one a day before bed or with your daily devotional.
This is a very practical, easy read on how to make each day flow and be intentional as you raise your children for the Lord and manage your home.
Love this.


 This book is amazing.
My favorite mothering book by far.
Sally Clarkson has such an amazing heart for motherhood, that it is completely contagious.
The way she describes this important role of mothering completely affects your outlook on even the littlest tasks in child rearing.
It is convicting and inspiring.
Definitely read this.

This book is interesting.
It is about how our homes are the most important place on earth.
How they should minister to our family, brothers and sisters in Christ and the community.
The truly interesting thing about this is that it is written by a man.
He talks a lot about his childhood home and how it was a loving, nurturing place.
He takes those memories and applies them to his own home and how we can as well.


This book is a must-read no matter what season of life you are in.
I wish I would've read it sooner.
If you are in a relationship, read it together.
Make financial commitments together.
It truly makes a huge difference in your overall well-being.

So that's my list.
What would you add to your must-have books to help you grow?

1 comment:

  1. This post is really valuable that designed for the new visitors. Pleasing work, keep on writing.
    Free Stuff

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one! I read each and everyone one! xoxo Jenny Free