Monday, January 16, 2012

Our Changing Station Crib Topper



Since our nursery is small, I knew we wouldn't have room for a traditional changing table.

And I was OK with that.

I googled all over for options and stumbled upon this


The Oeuf Changing Station.

I loved the modern look and simplicity of design.

I did not like the price however.

$249.

Gulp.



So, I put Mr. Free and Grandpa Free on a mission.



This past weekend during one of my baby shower's, Daddy and Grandpa made this masterpiece.




Mr. Free thought adding some storage on the side would be beneficial for our small space.


We tested it out with the cloth diapers and they fit perfectly.

However, for the first bit we are starting with disposables and regular disposable wipes as we were gifted a TON.


Everything fits perfectly!

Look at all that storage!



I am thrilled with the results and so glad to have a custom solution for our nursery!

And the price?

Materials came out to a little less than a quarter of the Oeuf price!

And on Friday, the middle school art teachers threw Mr. Free a baby shower and gifted him some money for the baby. Mr. Free used that money to build this! Thank you art teachers!


Baby Free could be here as soon as about 2 weeks! Luckily things are coming together nicely!


I can't wait to meet my chubby cheeked baby!

12 comments:

  1. This is great! I've been looking for a changing table top all over the place and haven't found anything as practical as this! The think I like the most about it, is that the storage is on the side of where the baby is places! Do you offer instructions on someone can build something like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO much better than the Oeuf changing table. It has storage PLUS handles. It really is genius... you should market it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you make it? It's exactly what I'm looking for. If you are willing I'd love some DIY help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is WONDERFUL. I want to make one ASAP. Do not have a handy husband and will have to make myself. Please please post simple instructions/drawings. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to have found this post on your blog. I add to the comments above...are you willing or have you already shared instructions for constructing this changing table? We're working with a very small space and have found that this is the only solution. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter has a special needs baby and a very small apartment. She will be bringing her baby home for the first time in a couple of weeks. She is currently 6 months old and weighs less than 12 lbs. I have a very handy brother-in-law that hopefully would help me make this. Is there and advice or instructions you can offer?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, this is amazing! Does it just sit on top of the crib freely or is there some sort of cross brace underneath that fits to the inside rails of the crib so that it doesn't slide off?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came across your design via a google image search and stole it. It took me about 4 hours to make (while taking care of a baby by myself). I made it from 4 sheets of 3/4 inch pine from Home Depot. I believe they were 2 foot wide by 4 foot long. I used a Kreg Jig to make pocket holes on the whole thing to hold it together. You simply glue and pocket hole 2 of the boards together side by side for your base, cut your new wider board to length (The length of your changing pad), Cut your front and back (width of your base + 1.5 inches (to account for your sides)), cut your sides (The length of your changing pad) (The height for the sides and the front I made 3 3/4 inches tall. You then need your divider (which you can cut to be as tall as you want). I kept it as the same cut as the sides so it would stick 3/4 inches above the pad. After everything has a pocket hole and a screw (or however you chose to form your box) you trace out your front cut out using the pad and use that same cut out and a leftover piece of scrap to hold the table onto the crib (the back of my crib wasn't level with the front so I had to improvise). Sand and stain or paint whatever you choose. I know it's a little confusing, but it's pretty simple when you lay everything out. Thanks for the design!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As everybody has said, this is great! Dou you have instructions?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be perfect in our little apartment! Do you have to take it on and off the crib often, like while the baby is sleeping? And, like everyone has asked, is there any way you could post some instructions? Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love for them to make me one. I live in apartment and have limited space. My crib is also a portable size.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one! I read each and everyone one! xoxo Jenny Free