Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Fresh Look at Food....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2sgaO44_1c

Over Christmas Break, Mr. Free and I watched this documentary...and we HIGHLY recommend everyone watch this. Americans are in the middle of an obesity crisis and we as a culture have NO clue where our food is really coming from... Mr. Free and I realized we NEED to pay attention to what we are putting in our bodies.

After watching this, the meat at the supermarket really grosses me out. Thinking that over 1,000 cows are in each hamburger is disgusting. The fact that feces gets into that meat regularly? Disgusting.

Mr. Free and I contacted a local farm to join a Meat and Egg CSA. This meat is all grass-fed, free range and organic. The prices are wonderful considering the quality of the product. We are hoping to join next month....after payday of course.

Mr. Free and I have also been discussing our dairy habits and the use of hormones. Being an individual with two hormonal diseases, I feel that putting even more hormones into my body is probably not the BEST idea... Most companies are not producing milk with artificial growth hormones. Which is great. Mr. Free and I are starting to compromise our milk...Costco Hormone-Free and Shatto Milk.



Shatto milk is more expensive, but if you can afford it, it is well worth it. Plus it is important to our family to be supporting PEOPLE and not companies. Shatto milk is owned by the Shatto family in Osborne, MO. You can visit their farm. That's important to us.

I also highly recommend their root beer milk as a 'sometimes treat'. It's yummy.

Last summer I tried to make it to the Farmer's Market frequently. This next season, I plan to be there weekly and really take advantage of the fresh produce available to us in the Midwest.

Alright, I'll stop rambling. Watch this documentary, think about what you're putting into your body, and support local farmers.

2 comments:

  1. Would LOVE to know more about the meat and egg CSA!!

    Jen Mack

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Parker Farms, located in Richmond, MO.

    I think their website is www.parkerfarmsmeats.com if you wanna check it out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one! I read each and everyone one! xoxo Jenny Free