Monday, August 27, 2012

diy chalkboard coffee table

For our playroom I knew I wanted chalk paint SOMEWHERE.
However, I didn't want the typical black or green chalkboard paint.
Plus, I could only find it in spray paint and knew I wanted to brush it on.
I found the best stuff ever, called Clear Chalkboard Coating at Hobby Lobby. It can be brushed on over any painted surface and makes it a chalkboard!
Much more possibilities!

Since our budget was "cheap.as.possible", I decided to use a hand-me-down coffee table we had been given.

We had originally planned to use this coffee table in the family room.
I had sanded down the top and tried a stain, but it didn't turn out how I wanted.

But it's perfect in the play room.

Here's what I used:
A sample can of Lowe's paint + primer in Magnet Dapple (on sale for $2)
A bottle of Clear Chalkboard Coating from Hobby Lobby ($4 with 40% off coupon)
And a brush
I forgot to take lots of in-progress pics, but here's what I did:
Applied 2 coats of the Magnet Dapple paint, letting it dry for an hour in between.
Then applied 2 coats of Clear Chalkboard coat.
The first coat goes horizontal, the second brushed on vertical, allowing an hour dry time between coats.
 See how great the swatch matches?

After letting dry for 24 hours, you take a piece of chalk and rub it's side along the whole chalkboard surface, then erase.
It's ready to go! 

It works really well! I was skeptical of the "chalkboard coating" at first, but it does fantastic! 
I can't wait until Mr. Levi can draw all over it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me one! I read each and everyone one! xoxo Jenny Free