Wednesday, September 30, 2009
1. Pumpkins and pumpkin carving!
3. Hot chocolate
4. Beanie hats, preferably with my curly pigtails and a hoodie.
7. Apple Dumplings ***see recipe below!***
8. And MOST of all.....decorating for Fall!!!!
***Apple Dumpling Recipe***
Yields 2 servings
* Ready made pie crust dough, or your own favorite recipe
* 1 apple
* Brown Sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut apple in half, core and peel. Divide pie crust dough in half. Place half of apple on half of dough. Fill center of apple with approx. 2 tbsp. butter, 1 tbsp. of brown sugar, and a few shakes of cinnamon. Wrap dough around apple, using a little water on your fingers to seal the edges. Sprinkle a little table sugar and cinnamon on outside. Place on baking sheet and bake approx. 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Monday, September 28, 2009
Mr. Free and I attended the local Oktoberfest this weekend, and I REALLY wanted a funnel cake. The budget is a little tight at the Free Household, so we are really trying to live up to our name. Mr. Free told me he'd make me one as soon as we got home. He'd never made one before, so I was a little skeptical.
OH.MY.GOSH. This man knew what he was doing. It was at LEAST as good as any local fair, and I would say MUCH BETTER even. Here is what Mr. Free did:
* Instant Pancake Mix (the just-add-water kind)
* 1 egg
*Any toppings of your choice
To make two medium sized funnel cakes, follow the measurements given.
*Heat a skillet or deep fryer with oil until 375 degrees.
* Mix 3/4 c. milk with 1 c. instant cake mix. Add in 1 egg and 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Mix all well.
*Pour into ziploc bag and got off one corner (or you can use a funnel....we didn't have any that didn't have oil in them...)
* Right at surface of oil, drizzle batter in circular motion into oil (be careful of the steam...)
* Cook about 1-2 min. per side, until lightly golden brown. Flip with tongs.
* Remove from oil and let sit on paper towels for a minute or two to absorb the grease.
* Top with powdered sugar or topping of your choice!
SOOOO easy! And SOOO much cheaper than the fair! Thanks to Mr. Free and his fair culinary skills!
Sunday, September 27, 2009
* I can't believe it's going to be October this week! (My 2nd favorite month!)
* I am so blessed to have such an amazing, funny, caring, adventurous husband
* I love our home- and how that's such a great feeling!
* How proud I am of my husband and I and how hard we are working on our own education and what a great example that will be to our kids
* How much I love teaching what I do- and I love that I get to be a constant example to students for 7 years of their education.
* I feel better about myself when I try and look good- and when I try a more *bold* look
* I FINALLY sold my chairs.
* I am taking on a new professional venture that I'm really excited about. More info on that to come.
That's all for now. Leave me some comments..... : )
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
Monday, September 14, 2009
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Monday, September 7, 2009
I have been wanting for awhile to start refinishing vintage furniture. Well, I have completed my first piece and now I am ready to part with it. I absolutely love these chairs, but really have no use for them myself.
Friday, September 4, 2009
The best part? It's FREE!!! Yup....like my name.
I got some majorly crummy service there a couple of weeks ago and was sent a couple free drink coupons. I happily took them up on it.
Tonight Mr. Free and I, along with some friends are heading down to First Fridays. If you are in the KC area, you MUST go at least once.
The first Friday of each month, the art galleries in the Crossroads district open up to the public for free. It makes for such a great, FREE evening. (There was definitely a reason my last name was destined to contain my favorite word in it....). Even if you are not into the 'art scene', it's a great event to people watch. You see all sorts of walks of life.
Have a great three day weekend!!